[tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Oct 14 00:01:44 CEST 2009

On 12 October 2009 C.M. Connelly wrote:

 > "SK" == Siep Kroonenberg <siepo at cybercomm.nl>
 > "JW" == Joseph Wright
 >
 >     JW> (On the other hand, *why* the TL team wanting installation
 >     JW> are not to run as Administrator? The usual rule is install
 >     JW> as Admin, use as a non-privileged user. I don't quite get
 >     JW> this.)
 >
 >     SK> E.g. if you sysadmin doesn't give you enough rights on
 >     SK> your computer.
 >
 > I can assure you that if one of my users installed TeX Live in
 > their own account, I would be very, very unhappy with them, and
 > I'm fairly sure I speak for most sysadmins.  Definitely make it
 > easy to use from a DVD or USB drive, but please *don't* make it
 > easy to install in individuals' accounts.

I think it should be possible to install TeX Live easily everywhere.

Do you mean that it should be difficult to install TL as a
non-privileged user?  This would be bad.  I'm maintaining a TL system
on a Linux server where I'm not root.  People can mount it on their
Windows machines or use it on the server.

The best way to prevent users from installing TL in $HOME is to
provide TL yourself and maintain it properly.  Why should a user want
to install it himself, then?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25