[tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sat Oct 10 17:44:24 CEST 2009

Alexander Cherepanov a écrit :
>   $ touch a
>   $ cp a b
>   $ rsync a c
>   $ ls -og ?
>   -rw-rw-rw- 1 0 Oct 10 16:14 a
>   -rw-rw-rw- 1 0 Oct 10 16:14 b
>   ----rw---- 1 0 Oct 10 16:14 c
>
> According to man page rsync in such a case should behave the same as other
> file-copy utilities.
>
> As a result "rsync -r" on cygwin just makes downloaded files
> unreadable.

I agree that it really looks like a bug. Would anyone like to report it to
cygwin maintainers? (Not me, since I don't use nor am familiar with cygwin.)

> I see two solutions -- either make rsync not touch
> permissions at all via "set CYGWIN=nontsec" or make it preserve the
> permissions of the source files. The former works great, the latter
> leads us to the next problem.
>
> Windows seems to want execute permissions for .manifest and .dll
> files. It is probably better to correct this in the repo with a comand
> like this (from a suitable dir):
>
>   find -name '*.manifest' -o -name '*.dll' | xargs chmod +x

Great news! It works this way (I'm using my linux box as a local rsync server
and download from my XP SP 3 box using rsync -rtlp).

More precisely:

1. With current permissions in tlnet: the now famous "access denied" error.
2. With *.manifest executable: Perl starts but can't load various modules,
starting with Win32/API/API.dll, failing with "access denied" errors.
3. With *.manifest executable and *.dll executable: WORKS :-)

> Or it could be corrected on the fly (for all files, not only for .manifest
> and .dll) with --chmod option for rsync. Start rsync command with the
> following options:
>
>   rsync -rtp --chmod +x ...
>
> (recursive, preserve modtimes and permissions, assume execute permission
> for all files).

I think it's better to change it on the server. I just changed permissions (I
mean, svn:executable properties) in the repo for *.dll and perl.exe.manifest, it
should be propagated to mirrors later.

Manuel.