[tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

Alexander Cherepanov cherepan at mccme.ru
Fri Oct 9 22:48:49 CEST 2009

Hi Manuel!
On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 21:56:21 +0200, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr> wrote:

>> Well, this is quite easy -- just don't ask rsync to preserve
>> permissions. Option -a includes option -p (preserve permissions). So I
>> usually use options -rt (recursive, preserve modtimes) instead of -a
>> (which is equal -rlptgoD) on Windows.

> I'm quite surprised: I seem to remember that Philip didn't use -a (nor -p) on
> the first place, only -r, and had problems even this way.

In fact, I don't quite understand what was the problem, e.g., if it
was related to ntfs permissions why deleting .manifest changed
anything. And I haven't read all the thread carefully enough so my
comment was more like a general note.

It seems you have reproduced the original problem with "rsync -avz".
Maybe you could try with "rsync -rt" (from the empty dir)? Probably
it's enough to use local mirror, i.e. to compare the result of

  rsync -a /local/mirror/ .

and

  rsync -rt /local/mirror/ .

>> Then rsync will act as other cygwin programs, including wget. Which
>> could also be troublesome;-( Easy solution is to set CYGWIN environment
>> variable to nontsec (doc: http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html
>> ). But adjusting umask should probably be enough.

> Not if you're using a non-cygwin version of rsync such as the one from
> Synametrics, I assume?

Well, I haven't tried Synametrics rsync myself but judging by the
contents of http://aboutmyip.com/files/DeltaCopyRaw.zip their
rsync.exe is also cygwin-based.

Alexander Cherepanov