[tex-live] tl09 release status: coming up

Alexander Cherepanov cherepan at mccme.ru
Fri Oct 9 21:24:48 CEST 2009

Hi Joseph!
On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 12:14:01 +0100, Joseph Wright <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk> wrote:

> So I logged on as the Administrator on my system, and used
> the Security part of the Properties box to take ownership of everything
> I'd rsync'ed, and reset all of the file permissions to "Inherited" (i.e.
> removed everything that rsync had set).

That should be prefectly doable under unprivileged user also. Or is
there some problems?

> Conclusion is that rsync on Windows is not easy to convince to use the
> appropriate file permissions: that is not TeX Live's fault.

Well, this is quite easy -- just don't ask rsync to preserve
permissions. Option -a includes option -p (preserve permissions). So I
usually use options -rt (recursive, preserve modtimes) instead of -a
(which is equal -rlptgoD) on Windows.

Then rsync will act as other cygwin programs, including wget. Which
could also be troublesome;-( Easy solution is to set CYGWIN environment
variable to nontsec (doc: http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html
). But adjusting umask should probably be enough.

> As an aside, I'm not sure rsync is actually much faster than just
> downloading install-tl.zip and letting the batch file do the
> downloading. I'd suggest that for a single-user installation there is
> not likely to be much in it (of course, if you are installing on lots of
> systems, then downloading first is the right way to go).

rsync is ideal for updating (and for fixing broken files, setting
modtimes etc.), but wget seems to be better suited for initial
download. wget at least can reconnect on lost connections. And
generally should be faster. (rsync can compress traffic but we talk
about downloading already compressed files.)

One could even think about using something like aria2 to download
simultaneously from several mirrors.

Alexander Cherepanov