[tex-live] TL-2009 + Win/XP + Rsync + CACLS : Success :-)

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Fri Oct 9 20:58:29 CEST 2009

Philip TAYLOR a écrit :
> Dear Staszek, copy all -- Thank you very much
> for your well-meant advice, but there is so far
> no evidence that Rsync for Windows is unreliable.

At least there is evidence that is not the most adequate tool for getting a
local copy of tlnet. But I agree that there is no evidence it is responsible for
this apparently corrupted file problem.

> persevere, and try to find out /why/ XV crashed
> at this point

I suggest you compute the md5 or sha1 sum of your local copy of bayer.source.xz
so that we can check if you copy is identical to the original. Alternatively, if
you cannot conveniently compute such sums, you could put online a copy of your
local file.

The first point to check is whether your local copy is actually corrupted.

I agree that it would be desirable that xzdec doesn't crash even on badly
corrupted files and it should exit gracefully with a nice error message, but I
think it is a minor point if it works OK with non-corrupted files.

Manuel.