[tex-live] [XeTeX] fontmap warnings (on TexLive 2009)

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 08:26:41 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 12:53:52 +0800, Steven Woody wrote:

>>> $kpsewhich pdftex.map
>>> /cygdrive/d/woody/.texlive2009/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
>>>
>> I'm not sure that this is related with your problem but I save your
>> pdftex.map file on my Linux machine and do
>> $ cat pdftex.map
>> !<symlink>ÿþp d f t e x _ d l 1 4 . m a p
>>
>> What is this?
>>

> I am sorry, the pdftex.map is actually a symbol that links to
> pdftex_dl14.map.
I knew that :). Actually the pdftex.map file is (almost?) always a link
to pdftex_dl14.map.

> And, now I removed the ~/.texlive2009 directory to
> reduce confusing. So, again, the xelatex log file as well as the
> pdftex_dl14.map file are attached.

The ~/.texlive2009 directory is used by TL. TL
stores here user specific settings. For example, if user run command
$ updmap
then the command will write several map files into
~/.texlive2009/texmf-config directory.

>> Some time ago I played with cygwin and found that they use symbolic
>> links as files with such content. I thought that cygwin layer reads such
>> files before pass them to a program. May be xdvipdfmx read them as is?

I should ask you about that in my first post: how you run xelatex? From
command line or using an editor tool?
If you run from cygwin command line then, IMO, it should be ok, cygwin layer
see that pdftex.map is a symbolic link and returns target file to an
application. But if you run using an editor tool
(like in WinEdt or TeXworks) then there could be problem with pdftex.map file.
I don't have now access to machine with windows and cygwin installed to make
checks (may be tomorrow).

>> Try run pdflatex on your example (comment line with fontspec before that).

> after converted the sample file to ascii and run pdflatex on it, this
> time I did not see the old warnings but got many many other warnings
> (see the attached mini-sample-2.log)
How you run pdflatex on that file?

---
WBW, Vladimir

--
Real computer scientists like having a computer on their desk, else how
could they read their mail?