[tex-live] Text too small in documentation

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Oct 8 23:24:04 CEST 2009

Victor Ivrii wrote:

> Actually playing with validator one can see that the best fit is html5
> rather than html4 (in all flavors) or xhtml and the only error is
> missing / before closing >

Seriously off-topic for this list, but I feel that
a response is warranted.

1) It is hardly surprising that the best fit is HTML 5,
since the latter was "designed" (I use the word loosely)
to accommodate as much of the extant cr at p currently loose
on the web as its "designers" (see above) thought they
could get away with.  It isn't (of course) a W3C
recommendation, and there are many (including myself)
who sincerely hope it will never become one.

2) XHTML sadly remains problematic.  If served as
"application/xhtml+xml", a number of browsers fail
to render it; if served as "text/html", then all
browsers /should/ treat the first "/> in the <head>
reason as signalling the end of the <head> (since
it is raw character data), but in fact none of them
do.

So in terms of reality, the page really is trying to be
HTML 4.01 Transitional (IMHO), and very nearly achieves
it, modulo the three "/>"s in the <head> region.

** Phil.