[tex-live] TeXLive2009: Issue with bibtex+babelbib

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Oct 8 15:12:37 CEST 2009

On Oct 7, 2009, at 11:30 AM, Johann Felix Soden wrote:

> Hi!
>
> The minimal.tex below gives the following error
> ! Extra }, or forgotten \endgroup.
> l.22   {\btxurldatefont{7.10.2009}}}
>
> after
> latex minimal.tex && bibtex minimal && latex minimal.tex
> because of a strange % in generated minimal.bbl:
> \btxtitlefont {\btxifchangecase {Theurl}{TheUrl}}.
> \newblock {\latintext
>  \btxurlfont{http://www.longurl.de/longurl/longurl/longurl/longurl/
> longurl/lo%
> ngurl}}%, \btxurldatecomment {\btxkeywordlanguage
>  {\btxurldatefont{7.10.2009}}}.
> The problem does not occur with TeXLive 2008.
>
> Regards
> Johann Felix Soden
>

> Here the minimal.tex:
>
> \begin{filecontents}{MySources.bib}
> @MISC{myurl,
> 	title = {TheUrl},
> 	url = {http://www.longurl.de/longurl/longurl/longurl/longurl/
> longurl/longurl},
> 	urldate = {7.10.2009},
> 	key = {thekey}
> }
> \end{filecontents}
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[ngerman]{babel}
> \usepackage{babelbib}
> \usepackage{hyperref}
> \bibliographystyle{babplain}
> \begin{document}
> Empty \cite{myurl}
> \bibliography{MySources}
> \end{document}

Howdy,

I also get

This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (TeX Live 2009)
The top-level auxiliary file: test.aux
The style file: babplain.bst
Database file #1: MySources.bib
Warning--empty language in myurl
(There was 1 warning)

as console output from the bibtex run; so there is a problem with your
bib entry. If I open the bib file in BibDesk (a bibliography data base
manager on the Mac) I get a message:

``Local File and URL fields have been automatically converted

These fields are being deprecated.  BibDesk now uses a more flexible
storage format in place of these fields. ...''

which agree with the observation above.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)