[tex-live] [texhax] tl09 release status: coming up

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Oct 7 01:41:38 CEST 2009

On 6 October 2009 Philip TAYLOR wrote:

 > In fact, one can use a UNC for the destination, with the proviso
 > that the slashes must be forward slashes, and therefore the
 > following is a solution.
 >
 > rsync -r --delete --exclude=2008 --exclude=mactex*
 > rsync://guiling.fr/texlive/ //<localhost>/<localpath>

Hi Phil,
I assume that you don't want to type this on the command line each
time you want to update.

A more convenient solution is to write a batch file.

@echo off

cd c:\some\directory

rsync -r --delete --exclude=2008 --exclude=mactex* rsync://guiling.fr/texlive/ ./relative/path/to/target/dir

Because you first "cd" to a particular directory, you can use relative
paths in order to avoid the colon in the rsync argument list.

On 6 October 2009 Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:

 > Why haven't you contacted Synametrics? It seems that their rsync is
 > either buggy or needs another syntax.

I think that we should acknowledge that there is a Windows port at
all.  rsync was written for Unix.  Porting it to Windows is a pain
because Windows is not POSIX compliant.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25