[tex-live] datestamp in texcat

Alexander Cherepanov cherepan at mccme.ru
Sun Oct 4 02:13:13 CEST 2009

Hi Karl!
On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 16:29:55 -0500, karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

>     BTW when html tags are stripped all formatting is lost (paragraphs are
>     joined, line breaks are gone etc.). Are there any plans to improve
>     this?
>
> Not on my side.  If you have any ideas about it, go for it.

I was thinking mainly about preserving line breaks so lists like in
akktex would look better. Having up to date and enforced catalogue.dtd
would be useful for this so that the contents of description element
is predictable.

>     Is such a complicated behaviour really useful?
>
> 1) It does not seem all that complicated to me.
>
> 2) Yes, it is useful: users who keep up to date don't end up downloading
>    a package foo just because  a typo in the Catalogue was corrected.
>    That was the original reason we implemented it the way we did.

Still don't get it. Why updating shortdesc or other info from the
Catalogue will force downloading of a package? AFAICT revision of a
package depends only on files of the package and will not be changed
when updating shortdesc etc.

Alexander Cherepanov