[tex-live] TL 2009: Upgrade works! Future plans?

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 1 16:20:22 CEST 2009

On 1 Oct 2009, at 14:54, Frank Küster wrote:

> Hi TeXLive people,
>
> Atsuhito Kohda <kohda at pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>
> (on the Debian list)
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> thanks for your great work!
>>
>> Now I'd like to know if texworks is included in TL 2009
>> packages or not.
>
> Hm, strange. There's a texworks directory in Master/tlpkg/, it
> contains
> a windows binary, some dll's and data. But there don't seem to be
> sources in Build/.

texworks is not built as part of the texlive build process; it's
entirely separate. Hence no sources in Build/.

> I just found on the pretest information page in the section about
> changes in TL 2009:
>
> - The TeXworks front end is included on Windows. It will also be
>  included in MacTeX. We hope to offer it for separate download on
> other
>  platforms.
>
> This means it seems it is *not* included in Unix builds; I have no
> idea
> where the sources have gone.

Right; the library dependencies make it difficult to create widely-
portable Unix binaries suitable for the texlive binary distribution.
The expectation is that it will be built/packaged for specific
distributions (and some people are already doing that, separately from
texlive).

I believe Karl/Tomek/Norbert/somebody is planning to include a package
of texworks sources with TL, presumably within Master/source
somewhere, but I don't see them yet. As the actual build is done
separately anyway, there wasn't much point in installing them early
while they were still changing frequently...

For the "original" texworks sources, see http://code.google.com/p/texworks
.

>> I intended to package texworks but, unfortunately or fortunately,
>> my first attempt was rejected.  Then I noticed that texworks
>> seems to be included in TL 2009 so it is my concern if it
>> is really happen or not.

Only Windows and Mac (as part of the MacTeX package) binaries will be
included with TL'09. I would encourage people to package texworks
appropriately for Debian and other distros (some are already doing
so), as I think that is the most sensible way to deliver it in most
cases.

> Can you point us to an older list discussion why TeXworks can't or
> shouldn't be included in TL 2009?

I don't have a specific pointer handy, but the basic reason is the
library dependencies; by default, texworks depends on several Qt
shared libraries, as well as poppler, freetype, fontconfig, etc. In
principle it should be possible to create statically-linked binaries,
I believe, but nobody has taken on that challenge - and static-linking
fontconfig, in my (limited) experience, is fraught with hazards. So
I'm not sure how successful such an effort would be.

JK