[tex-live] testing infrastructure updates

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Nov 28 00:17:21 CET 2009

Hi Ken,

    $ export TL_DOWNLOAD_ARGS="--user-agent=texlive --tries=1000
    --timeout=10000 -O"
    But wget only tried the download 47 times, even though I had set
    --tries-1000.  On a second attempt, the update failed after 54
    download tries.

10,000 seconds = 2.7 hours.  Maybe that's how long it took to do
47 resp. 54 tries?  Try --timeout=100000.

However, it occurs to me that there's no real need for you to have to
put up with whatever the ftp problems are.  Try getting tlcritical via
rsync from rsync://tug.org/tlcritical (which I just enabled), and then
giving tlmgr the local directory.  If this works for you I'll write some
instructions about.

    Does tlmgr have its own timeout setting so
    that it doesn't wait for wget to finish?

No.  It just runs wget and inspects the return status.

Thanks for your extensive efforts :).