[tex-live] testing infrastructure updates

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 16:58:26 CET 2009

On 11/26/2009 6:55 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
> We'd like to move the accumulated fixes from tlcritical to the main
> tlnet soon, perhaps with tomorrow's (Nov 27) build.  So if anyone is
> willing to be a guinea pig and try out the code, we'd appreciate it.

After repeated network failures trying to get the update, I decided to try

$ export TL_DOWNLOAD_ARGS="--user-agent=texlive --tries=1000
--timeout=10000 -O"
$ tlmgr -v --repository=ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlcritical update --self

in the hope of seeing what was going wrong.  The update failed while
trying to download texlive.infra.doc.tar.xz, after having successfully
downloaded and unpacked texlive.infra.tar.xz.  But wget only tried the
download 47 times, even though I had set --tries-1000.  On a second
attempt, the update failed after 54 download tries.  I can't tell from
the output whether it's wget or tlmgr that is giving up.  Does tlmgr
have its own timeout setting so that it doesn't wait for wget to finish?
  If so, is it changeable by an environment variable?

Ken