[tex-live] Duplicate files

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Nov 16 00:11:29 CET 2009

    With the TL2009 upgrade, I finally got around to writing a little Perl
    script that searches for duplicate files in the TeX search path using
    "kpathsea -all".

FYI, there is tlmgr check [--use-svn] runfiles, which finds some 60-odd
duplicates.

In the credit where credit is due department, Hans also noted this and
wrote a similar script at my request some years ago.

    I assume some of those duplicate are harmless, but are they all?

No, but they are also not new, so life goes on until there is a
real-life complaint.

Resolving them has to be done one case at a time (like the licensing
madness, which is arguably more important), and I am doubtful I will
ever have the time and energy to pursue them myself :(.