[tex-live] Install font in Mandriva 2009.1

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu May 28 22:02:16 CEST 2009

On 28 May 2009 Bob Plantz wrote:

 > I am trying to install LuxiMono in my Mandriva texlive system. I've done it
 > several times in Ubuntu, but the Mandriva documentation is lacking. And
 > following Ubuntu as an example is iffy because it uses "the Debian way" of
 > doing things.
 >
 > Mandriva has a package, texlive-texmf-usrlocal that creates the
 > /usr/local/share/texmf/ directory. This seems like a good place to base my
 > Luximono installation.
 >
 > However, in texmf.cnf I see
 >      TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/../texmf-local
 > which clearly does not correspond to what texlive-texmf-usrlocal did for me.
 >
 > Should I hard code this path as
 >     TEXMFLOCAL = /usr/local/share/texmf

If they are using another directory, maybe they overwrite TEXMFLOCAL
by an environment variable.  Or they have their own texmf.cnf.  There
can be more than one texmf.cnf on your system.

Do you have getnonfreefonts installed?  It's part of TeX Live.  Then
you can simply run

  getnonfreefonts-sys --help

and it will tell you where it would install the fonts.  It's the same
directory where the TeX system expects them.

 > Aside: what does SELFAUTOPARENT resolve to? I read that it's where the
 > binaries are located. Does that mean "/usr/bin" ?

SELFAUTOPARENT is two directory levels above the directory containing
the binaries.  You can use kpsewhich in order to find out to what it
expands on your system.  It's useful for other variables and search
paths too because it uses the same search algorithm as the programs.

  kpsewhich -expand-var=\$SELFAUTOPARENT

 > I've also read (in Lehman's "The Font Installation Guide")

If you have getnonfreefonts, you can simply run

  getnonfreefonts-sys luximono

and you don't have to worry about anything else.

 > that I should change the order of
 >
 > TEXMF = {$TEXMFCONFIG,$TEXMFVAR,$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFDIST}

 > TEXMF = {$TEXMFCONFIG,$TEXMFVAR,$TEXMFHOME,!!$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,!!$TEXMFSYSVAR,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN,!!$TEXMFDIST}

You don't have to change it.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25