[tex-live] Error with fmtutil

Bernhard Kleine bernhard.kleine at gmx.net
Tue May 12 23:02:32 CEST 2009

Am Samstag, den 09.05.2009, 21:23 +0200 schrieb Norbert Preining:
> On Sa, 09 Mai 2009, Bernhard Kleine wrote:
> >         This is a summary of all `failed' messages and warnings:
> >         `luatex -ini  -jobname=lualatex -progname=lualatex lualatex.ini'
> >         failed
> >         `luatex -ini  -jobname=pdflualatex -progname=pdflualatex
> >         pdflualatex.ini' failed
> >         `luatex -ini  -jobname=luatex -progname=luatex luatex.ini'
> >         failed
> >         `luatex -ini  -jobname=pdfluatex -progname=pdfluatex
> >         pdfluatex.ini' failed
> >

> >         and in the log file I found this:
> >

> >         fmtutil: /usr/local/share/texlive/2008/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex.fmt installed.
> >         fmtutil: running `luatex -ini   -jobname=lualatex
> >         -progname=lualatex lualatex.ini' ...
> >         This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.25.4-2008081313 (Web2C 7.5.7)
> >         (INITEX)
> >         (/usr/local/share/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/lualatex.ini
> >         ! I can't find file `luatexiniconfig.tex'.
> >         l.4 \input luatexiniconfig.tex
> >
> >         Please type another input file name:
> >         ! Emergency stop.
> >         l.4 \input luatexiniconfig.tex
> >
> > Since I installed texlive 2008 on top of a debian derived texlive2007,
> > the debian package uses the texlive2008 directories. What you see above
>
> ???? I don't grok this explanation, can you repeat what you did, if you
> prefer in German, too.
>
> > are errors from the tex-common updates in debian. I can live with this
>
> That is not surprising. Debian ships luatex 0.40 with the new ini files
> already. If you mix those two you cannot expect that it works?
>
> Please describe exactely *what* you have installed and *where* and which
> commands you are running.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Norbert

I have debian sid and tex-common was updated. Since texlive2008 is
installed on top of debian texlive2007, all format rebuilding in debian
updates is routed to texlive2008 binaries.

The error I saw is thus an error of texlive2008 which became obvious
during updating texlive2007. Manuel has already explained that the file
was misplaced or missing.

Greetings from the Black Forest

Bernhard

--