[tex-live] TeX Live RPM for Red Hat RHEL5?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu May 7 12:07:23 CEST 2009

2009/5/7 Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>:
> On Mi, 06 Mai 2009, MARTIN, GEORGE H, ATTSI wrote:
>> Is there by any chance a TeX Live RPM available for Red Hat Linux RHEL5,
>> or perhaps a Fedora Core (6?) RPM that will install on RHEL5?
>
> You have to ask at RedHat, we cannot provide anything more then our own

I think they are working on it but I have no idea when it is available.

> installer.
>
> Of course you can always install TeX Live in your home directory and use
> that instead of the tex provided by RH.

I have it on CentOS 4 and 5 (based on RHEL4 and 5), previously I used
it on Fedora Core 2. I install TL to /usr/local/texlive, I have a
separate partition /usr/local on my HD. I add it to the beginning of
PATH so that I am sure that TL is found before TeX from RPMs. The
advantage of using TL over TeX distributed with OS is that you can
install several versions in separate directories and switch between
them just by changing PATH. It is important if you have some critical
application and upgrade may break your documents. I still have TL2007
and TL2008. I deleted TL2005 after I was sure that all my important
documents work in TL2007.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/