[tex-live] TeX Live on usb drive

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sat Mar 21 16:57:39 CET 2009

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) a écrit :
> "Not all TeX users have either the ability or the
>  knowledge to download an installable TeX Live
>  from the network; therefore the TeX Live team
>  are kindly requested to consider offering a pre-
>  packaged copy of TLnet/2008 on a physical medium
>  such as 2 x CD or 1 x DVD 5, as an alternative

I doubt 2 CD is useful, since if people have a CD drive, they most probably have
a DVD drive nowadays. IMO the problem is more netbooks with DVD drive, that must
install from USB when no network is available (and indeed it happens quite often).

Probably the best would be to have either:
- A zip file with all tlnet/2008, which people can easily download and unzip to
their USB drive. Now this means a 1Gb file which is likely to change every day,
and I doubt CTAN can support it. Or perhaps we don't want to update it every
time tlnet changes?
- A clear how-to somewhere explaining how to recursively download tlnet/2008
with common tools.

Manuel.