[tex-live] TDS and binaries / man pages

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 19 17:26:29 CET 2009

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr> wrote:

> Zdenek Wagner a écrit :
> >> /scripts/splitindex/splitindex.class
> >> /scripts/splitindex/splitindex.pl
> >>
> > It should be script/splitindex/..., not /scripts/splitindex/...
> > because users do not have write access to the root directory and are
> > not allowed to create the /scripts directory.
> >
> ? Which root directory? I have perfect write access to ~/texmf, thanks :-) Are
> we discussing the same thing?

zdenek makes a valid point, imo.

> >> The advantage would be that a user who unzips the tds.zip doesn't get
> >> "strange" directories at the top level, but only in the
> >> /source/latex/splitindex/ directory. This still does not mean that a user
> >> that unpacks in a local texmf-tree gets something usable. But at least the
> >> local texmf-tree is not cluttered.
>
> Well, I really wonder if it's worth doing a .tds.zip, since manual placement of
> the files will be required anyway. Unless I missed something,tds.zip files are
> not required by CTAN, and even less required by TL.

don't under-estimate the extent to which the tds frightens people.  we
occasionally get broken .tds.zip files from people who ought to know
better, let alone the poor old "general user".

unfortunately, tex live or miktex .tar.lzma files aren't quite right
for the user of neither system :-(