[tex-live] XeTeX and ConTeXt

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 13 19:31:12 CET 2009

On 13 Mar 2009, at 18:13, John Hughes wrote:

> I have run "fc-cache -r -v" at the command line and obtained the
> following error:
>
> Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
>
> If I run the same command from within the directory "C:\Program
> Files\texlive\2008\bin\win32\conf", however, it finds all the fonts on
> my system (most importantly, those in "C:\WINDOWS\Fonts").
>
> If I then run "fc-list" within the directory "C:\Program
> Files\texlive\2008\bin\win32\conf", it lists the fonts, including:
>
> Times New
> Roman:style
> =
> Regular
> ,Normal
> ,obyčejné
> ,Standard
> ,Κανονικά
> ,Normaali
> ,Normál
> ,Normale
> ,Standaard
> ,Normalny,Обычный,Normálne,Navadno,thường,Arrunta
> Times New
> Roman:style
> =
> Italic
> ,cursiva
> ,kurzíva
> ,kursiv
> ,Πλάγια
> ,Kursivoitu
> ,Italique
> ,Dőlt
> ,Corsivo
> ,Cursief
> ,kursywa,Itálico,Курсив,İtalik,Poševno,nghiêng,Etzana
> Times New
> Roman:style
> =
> Bold
> ,Negreta
> ,tučné
> ,fed
> ,Fett
> ,Έντονα
> ,Negrita
> ,Lihavoitu
> ,Gras
> ,Félkövér
> ,Grassetto
> ,Vet
> ,Halvfet
> ,Pogrubiona
> ,Negrito,Полужирный,Fet,Kalın,Krepko,đậm,Lodia
> Times New Roman:style=Bold Italic,Negreta cursiva,tučné kurzíva,fed
> kursiv,Fett Kursiv,Έντονα Πλάγια,Negrita Cursiva,Lihavoitu
> Kursivoi,Gras Italique,Félkövér dőlt,Grassetto Corsivo,Vet
> Cursief,Halvfet Kursiv,Pogrubiona kursywa,Negrito
> Itálico,Полужирный
> Курсив,Tučná kurzíva,Fet Kursiv,Kalın İtalik,Krepko
> poševno,nghiêng
> đậm,Lodi etzana
>
> However, if I run "fc-list" from any other directory, it gives this
> error again:
>
> Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
>
> Any ideas?

Sounds like you may have a different, incompatible fontconfig
installed somewhere, and it's in your PATH before the TeX Live one.

Or could simply it be that it's confused by using a path with spaces?
I think that's a bad idea, in general, as not all the tools in TL are
necessarily bulletproof about properly quoting pathnames. (IMO, the TL
Windows folk should reconsider the default installation directory; the
old choice of C:\TeXLive\ was a much safer choice.)

JK