[tex-live] Bug report - tl-install fails on Solaris due to tar assumptions

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Jun 30 02:13:11 CEST 2009

On Mo, 29 Jun 2009, Karl Berry wrote:
> I don't know what the answer is, if we can create a "POSIX" archive
> which has an alternate means of handling long names.  If POSIX doesn't
> support >100 chars, I guess we'll just have to require GNU tar.

Bummer, is POSIX so dump? And there are still tars in the wild that
*actually* do not support that.

Well, what about that plan: We could add some code to setup_programs to
check first for gtar, if that exists use it, and if it does not exist
use tar and hope for the best.

Or, honestly, tell people the should get a decent tar as "tar". If this
is a user without sysadm rights he still can do
	cp .../gtar ~/bin/tar
	export PATH=~/bin:$PATH
	install-tl ...

Best wishes

Norbert

SLUGGAN (n.)
A lurid facial bruise which everyone politely omits to mention because
it's obvious that you had a punch-up with your spouse last night - but
which into a door. It is useless to volunteer the true explanation
because nobody will believe it.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff