[tex-live] installation with network troubles

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Jun 29 07:46:22 CEST 2009

On So, 28 Jun 2009, Karl Berry wrote:
> The tlpdb in tlnet should always be consistent with the actual files in
> tlnet (this is not true for svn).  We have numerous consistency checks
> to ensure this.
>
>         open (IN, $infile) || return; # die "open($infile) failed: $!";
>     (as i wasn't capable to write Perl code for at least a warning there).
>
> Replace `return' with `{ warn "..."; return; }', seems to me.  Or use an
> if.
>
>     No idea if such should be converted into a user flag.
>
> It shouldn't be a flag, the data (and the behavior) should be correct in
> the first place.  Perhaps that means we should do the above, to be more
> robust.

No that will happen *ONLY* if you run from svn and called svn up between
the tlpdb regeneration and the after some files have been removed.

I would say those installing from svn checkout should
- either run *directly * from svn checkout
- or add Master/tlpkg/bin to the PATH and run
	tlpsrc2tlpdb -all
  before/when seeing these problems.

>     The final product will be rock-stable anyway.
>
> I wish.

Me too.

Best wishes

Norbert

NOTTAGE (n.)
Nottage is the collective name for things which you find a use for
immediately after you've thrown them away. For instance, your
greenhouse has been cluttered up for years with a huge piece of
cardboard and great fronds of gardening string. You at last decide to
clear all this stuff out, and you burn it. Within twenty-four hours
you will urgently need to wrap a large parcel, and suddenly remember
that luckily in your greenhouse there is some cardb...
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff