[tex-live] installation with network troubles

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Sun Jun 28 21:49:27 CEST 2009

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009, Martin Schröder wrote:

> 2009/6/28, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>:
> >     >  The network installer MUST be more robust to network problems.
> >
> > Gee, thanks for shouting at us to wake us up to this
> >  heretofore-completely-unheard-of issue :).
>
> I just know that Hartmut pegs me with it everytime we phone/meet. And
> after I witnessed it myself, I think it's unacceptable.

just for the record, i like Lpeg and i'm quite happy with my DSL network
access, no problem with downloading TeX Live (i do exclusively svn co).
The only thing that sometimes lets me utter not-to-be-cited @*#%! sounds
(always regretfully :-) is when a TL2009 package is temporarily broken
(missing file --- some newcomer). My work-around (when it got annoying)
was to patch copy() in TLUtils.pm here to just ignore these files
instead of quitting the install, like

    open (IN, $infile) || return; # die "open($infile) failed: $!";

(as i wasn't capable to write Perl code for at least a warning there).
No idea if such should be converted into a user flag. The final product
will be rock-stable anyway.

Regards, Hartmut