[tex-live] Supporting old releases: Using LaTeX after more than 5 years

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Jun 11 22:52:36 CEST 2009

Hi Karl, hi all,

together with Frank we have developped a patch for fmtutil that deals
with the following problem:

On So, 07 Jun 2009, Frank Küster wrote:
> Now if we look more closely, it turns out that LaTeX issues only a
> *warning* if you read the text.  However, the lines are prepended with
> "! ", and therefore are treated as errors by fmtutil.  In other words,
> the LaTeX format can be built fine even after 5 years have passed. But
> fmtutil won't accept it as cleanly built.

The idea is that *if* a fmt file was generated and the string
	'! '
(without ') are found at the beginning of a line then this was only a
*warning* and no error.

Currently fmtutil does in this case:
	log_failure "pdftex -ini ... possibly failed."
and log_failure triggers and return value of > 0, which turns out as
error.

We have changed fmtutil by adding a new logging facility
	log_warning
(all paralleling log_failure) that is used instead. Messages generated
from this will not change the exit value, but will be reported at the
end.

I attach the patch against current TeX Live's fmtutil in
Build/source/texk/tetex/fmtutil.

Please comment, esp. if you (I am having my Debian hat on) will accept
that patch into the upstream source.

Thanks a lot

Norbert

HUCKNALL (vb.)
To crouch upwards: as in the movement of a seated person's feet and
legs made in order to allow a cleaner's hoover to pass beneath them.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff