[tex-live] updmap.cfg query

Martin Schröder martin at oneiros.de
Sun Jul 26 19:59:41 CEST 2009

2009/7/26 Rowland McDonnell <rjmmnet-lists at yahoo.co.uk>:
> Thank you for that - I think I already understood everything that page
> has to say, except that it was useful for me to discover the following
> incantation:
>
> kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL
>
> (I can't remember things like that; I have to make written notes in
> places that I'll find them at a time when they'll be useful.  This is
> not easy to do.  I did mention that I'm a Mac user.  I'm not scared of
> command lines, but I usually can't remember command line incantations.

I'm late for chiming in, but please bear with me:
- please keep your mails short. Nobody here wants to read your long
  mails to exctract the questions you are posing - I gave up after the
  third
- get used to reading man pages. Your mac is running a Unix OS, and
  the developers are developing for Unix systems, where man pages are
  the standard documentation format
- read the web2c & kpathsea documentation, either the info files or
  get the pdfs. You have to understand tds and kpathsea at least to
  know what kpsewhich does and how texmf.cnf is digested.

Best
   Martin

PS: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html is essential
    knowledge