[tex-live] updmap.cfg query

Rowland McDonnell rjmmnet-lists at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 24 16:27:21 CEST 2009

(can someone tell me if I'm doing the wrong thing by emailing this to
multiple recipients directly rather than to the tex-live mailing list
only?)

>Rowland McDonnell wrote:

> > >It's <your-texlive-root>/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg
> >
> > Is that the file to which:
> >
> > updmap-sys --enable Map=MAPFILE
> >
> > adds data to?
>
>Yes.

Aha!  Thank you.  I understood something!  I understood something!

:-))

(see, I do have a working brain somewhere...)

> > If so, what is the protocol that ensures it will not be modified
> > when updates to the texlive distro are performed with the official
> > tools such as tlmgr?
>
>It *will* be modified by tlmgr if it installs a new font.  But the
>entries you added yourself will not be touched.

Thanks for the information.

Could anyone give me a hint as to where I might look to find out about
the process of tlmgr installing a fount?

Thanks once more for your help so far,
Rowland.