[tex-live] Stop providing a4.sty and a4wide.sty for texlive-2009

Pacho Ramos pacho at condmat1.ciencias.uniovi.es
Sat Jul 18 13:55:25 CEST 2009

Hello

Currently, texlive is providing these deprecated and failing packages:
/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ntgclass/a4.sty
/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ltxmisc/a4wide.sty

Its usage is discouraged as can be seen in:
ftp://dante.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/l2tabu/english/l2tabuen.pdf (section
1.1):
"1.1 a4.sty, a4wide.sty
Do not use these ‘two’ packages any longer. You should delete them without
replacement from
your LATEX source. Use the class option a4paper instead. Speaking in terms of
typography
these packages, or others similar to these do not provide good layout. What is
even worse, there
is more than one version of these packages around, and different versions of
those packages
are incompatible with one another, providing deviating settings for page
margins. So you may
not trust that your document will look the same—or just as bad? – when
being compiled on
someone else’s system when exchanging LATEX source.
Replace: a4.sty, or a4wide.sty by class option a4paper"

I also got this problem while using lyx and this recommendation was "enforced":
http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/4872
http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/6084

I think that these should be removed to take advantage of next major texlive version, this way,
people would do the migrations in their tex files preventing collateral problems
(like problems with margins and so...). This would, of course, be documented in Changelog

Thanks a lot :-)