[tex-live] Linux Libertine and TeX Live 2008

Wolfgang Keller feliphil at gmx.net
Mon Jul 13 11:20:28 CEST 2009

> > And it just won't work.
>
> Well, that is *absolutely* useless remark if you don't provide any
> output of the process.

Well, if those .bat and .exe files just won't leave their command prompt windows open to allow reading the messages, I can't do anything about it.

> Please, get the install-tl package from CTAN, and start it, and send the
> output in the terminal window.

Again: I am using Windows. So there is no "terminal window".

> > The installer apparently misses to put a _lot_ of files into the destination folder.
>
> Hard to diagnose without a crystal ball.

Would have been easy to test before releasing.

Get a USB stick, try to install TeXLive on it, see for yourself.

> > And if I copy them to the installation folder from the DVD by hand, tl-portable.bat still complains that it simply can't find some files, whatever they are.
>
> tl_portable???? What are you talking about?

*sigh*

tl-portable.bat

The .bat file which is required to use TeXLive on Windows from a portable location.

> Did you use the DVD for installation?

Yes. Didn't produce anything that works.

> Did you use the network installer to download from the network?

Yes. Didn't produce anything that works either.

> Did you use tl_portable to set up a minimal system without installing
>   all the stuff to your hard disk?

I use tl-portable not to "set up", but to _use_ a portable instance of TeXLive 2008 that I had to create by manually copying the DVD contens to my USB stick.

> Did you read the quick install document?

I can read and I did.

> > Simply copying over the whole DVD contents at least produces a LaTeX "installation" that _somewhat_ works, so I consider the installer as, sorry, plain useless §$%&#?!.
>
> Sorry for you, but if you don't cooperate

"cooperate" - You sound like an employee of the german "labour agency".

> you will have the same
> experience next year.
>
> Witout any reasonable arguments, terminal output, log files that is just
> voodoo.

Well, it seems like "voodoo" to _me_ that you release "installers" that don't produce anything that works. And that apparently you don't seem to even read what I wrote about my usage scenario and what I have done.

> > Anyway, as a long-time Mac user, an application that (seems to) require
> > any kind of "installer" in order to be used is seriously flawed imho.
>
> Bullshit. Sorry.

25 years of perfectly useable zero-install application software?

Bullshit?

Make your so-called "installers" actually _work_ and then come back again.

> Do you really think that *all* the Mac software work *WITHOUT* installer
> only because *YOU* didn't see the installation process????

There is no "installation process" for actual MacOS X applications other than just unzipping an archive and dropping the contents whereever one wants to.

> > Or rather, it's the "software" in the brains of the corresponding developers that's seriously flawed. MacOS has had zero-install applications since 1984. That's a quarter of a century ago now.
>
> Hahaha, joking. Only because they install a default system without any
> user choice does not mean that there is no isntallation program.

You obviously hav no clue how applications work on MacOS X.

Try to look up "application bundle" or "application directory" on WIkipedia if you want to enlarge your horizon.

> Please become reasonable.

Please don't make statements about things that you don't even _try_ to understand.

> If you provide more serious information we can help you,

If your .bat scripts and .exe files did allow to actually read their output, I could provide the information...

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

--
NO "Courtesy Copies" PLEASE!