[tex-live] strange actions of tlmgr (gui, winXP)

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Wed Jul 8 00:24:43 CEST 2009

In tlmgr (gui on windows XP) there is a configuration screen.
It starts with a list of things that can be changed. Some
of these are paths and there is a button labeled "change"
that opens an editing window. Others are yes/no options;
the button says "toggle" and pressing it changes "yes" to
"no" or the reverse.

First strangeness:

There is, however, the option "Change file associations". This
seems to be a yes/no option, but the default value is "1" and
the button says "change" instead of "toggle". Is there some other
possible value besides 1 and (I assume) 0?

Second strangeness:

On the same "configuration" screen, at the lower left is an area
for setting default page sizes and on the right an area labeled
"Actions". One would expect the buttons in the lower left area not
to perform any of those actions, but merely change the the default
values. At least _I_ expected that pressing the "letter" button to
to the right of "default paper for all" would simply change all
the values listed below it to letter. But it started regenerating
format files.

Which brings us to the
Third strangeness:

What _seems_ to happen during the regeneration of the formats
is the program seems to freeze. I guessed what was happening
so I waited patiently. It would be nice if there were some
indication of what was going on. I suppose the log window would
have shown that to me, but it was hidden behind the main window.
The main window was unresponsive during this time so I couldn't
move it out of the way. I _could_ drag the log window out from
behind, but it wouldn't gain focus and wouldn't update its display
until the format generation was complete.

It would be nice if the log window were brought to the front
when some action is performed that involves it. I now move them
side-by-side before doing anything so I can see if something is
happening.

Regards,
Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
"Dubito ergo cogito, cogito ergo sum" --Descartes