[tex-live] New version of the type1 cm fonts fails with dvipdfm

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue Jul 7 09:07:42 CEST 2009

Am Mon, 6 Jul 2009 16:55:47 -0500 schrieb Karl Berry:

>     If I use cm-dvipdfm-fix.map, your example does not work.
>
> Ulrike, I've attached this file FYI.

Example from cm-dvipdfm-fix.map:

cmsy10 bbad153f cmsy10 -r

I would say it is quite obvious why it fails:
bbad153f refers to  bbad153f.enc and such enc files are more or less
a list of glyph names of the pfb. And as the readme of the amsfonts
(<CTAN>/tex-archive/fonts/amsfonts/doc/00README)
points out:

"Where possible, all glyphs have been given Unicode-compliant names
to make them work better with Unicode-aware viewers (e.g.,
cut-and-paste of Cyrillic characters should work better)."

E.g. in cmsy10 the glyphs have names like  "uni2AAF".

So probably an unknown number of this encodings files will use wrong
glyph names now. That means that this map should not be used
together with the new version of the cm font.

--
Ulrike Fischer