[tex-live] getnonfreefonts --help

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Jan 28 23:46:54 CET 2009

On 28 January 2009 Lars Madsen wrote:

 > getnonfreefonts -l
 >
 > is also confusing, it lists that

 > Installation directory: /home/daleif/texmf
 >
 > [snip list of fonts not installed]
 >
 > but why doesn't it test whether the fonts are actually installed
 > globally on the system, taht would be a nice addition.

Lars, it would be a nice thing indeed, but it's easier said that done.
The problem is not getnonfreefonts but updmap[-sys].  Whenever you
invoke updmap as a user, the global updmap config file is copied to
your local tree and since TEXMFHOME is searched before TEXMFLOCAL,
everything your admin changes later is invisible for you.

Since writing updmap from scratch is on the TODO list already, it's
not worthwhile to add more complexity to getnonfreefonts at the
moment.  A future version of updmap will certainly read both, the
local and the global config file.  The local config file will then
only contain fonts installed by a user.

Of course, when a new updmap is available, I'll adapt getnonfreefonts
with pleasure.  Anyway, many thanks for the suggestion, though.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25