[tex-live] getnonfreefonts --help

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Jan 25 01:14:40 CET 2009

On 24 January 2009 Lars Madsen wrote:

 >> BTW, if you run getnonfreefonts --help, it prints to screen where it
 >> would install the files.
 >>
 >>   Directories:
 >>        temporary: '/tmp/501-reinhard/getfont-<PID>'
 >>        install:   '/home/reinhard/texmf'
 >
 > but why is this at the bottom and not at the top

It's at the bottom because you are only interested in it when you are
using getnonfreefonts for the first time.  Later you are more
interested in the "Options" section.

Maybe I have to explain my objective: The help message is more useful
when it's as small as possible.  It's not supposed to be a replacement
for the manual page, which could be a little bit more verbose.  And
the manual page shouldn't contain anything not directly related to
getnonfreefonts.

However, I have to update the man page soon because the --http option
is not yet mentioned.  I could add a "SEE ALSO" section.  What do you
think is useful to be mentioned there?   The first thing which comes
to my mind is the TeX Live manual.

 > users have a tendency to stop reading when there is something they
 > do not understand

Yes, but if someone encounters a problem and is unwilling to read the
information I provide, I can't help him.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25