[tex-live] TexLive 2008 installation problems

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Jan 21 17:24:35 CET 2009

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard a écrit :
> Norbert Preining a écrit :
>> Googling whould have shown that this has been asked several times. The
>> solution is that you have to moun the DVD *WITHOUT* the noexec option,
>> which prohibits execution of programs.
>>
> By the way, do we document this somewhere ?

Well, better than documenting (suggested by Philip), an helpful error
message would be great.

Eg, right after determining which lzma binary to use, test if it can
actually be executed (not sure if -x is enough for this), and if not,
exit with a message like:

> Lzmadec cannot be executed, strange. Possible reasons for this:
> - installing from a DVD with mounted with the noexec option. Solution:
> remount it without this option.
> - installing from a local tlnet mirror: the permissions are incorrect,
> use chmod to fix them
> - [... ad lib]

Unfortunately, I don't undestand install-tl enough to find a good place
to put this test and suggest a patch.

Manuel.