[tex-live] I am very angry now.

Yue Wang yuleopen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 14:00:04 CET 2009

Hi,

> That is really strange, and I am much suprised. And sorry for you, I
> hope that you had backups, I sincerely hope.

Yes, I have backup for most files. (although not recent backup, I lost
just a few unimportant files).
I wish I could use ZFS snapshot or Apple Time Machine in windows...

> I checked the uninstaller and *cannot* find anything that could generate
> that problem. We do the following:
> - we start a perl script that removes the Win32 associations etc
> - we remove the shortcuts in the Menu and the Desktop
> - now comes the "dangerous" part:
>  . we rmdir /s /q PATH/2008/texmf-dist, texmf-doc, texmf,
>    readme-html.dir, readme-txt.dir, tlpkg, texmf-var, texmf-config,
>    temp, tlpkg
>  . some files

During the installation, the installer pop up a dialog and ask me
whether to uninstall or not.
Then it launch a command window and showed certain normal things, and
then it showed:
-- Deleting c:/Music/....
and then it deleted a few files, and I shut the window down as fast as
I could. but I forgot to cast a screenshot:(

> But we never do remove something else.
>
> If you want to help us track that down, can you please:
> - make the *very* same installation, especially the PATH where you
>  installed TL to
> - then send us the created file in
>        PATH/2008/tlpkg/installer/uninst2.bat
>  which does the job

OK, I will do it the day after tomorrow. (I should restore my hard
drive first, and make a new backup to dvd, since it is dangerous~).

There is also a problem with the installer. Sometimes it install
programs to C:\Program\texlive instead of C:\Program Files\texlive.
But it is not easy to reproduce the problem:(
And most time even the installation path is right(Program Files), if I
run luatools --generate, context --make, it assumes the texlive
installation is in C:\Program\texlive. Pretty strange...

> Then we can check what has happened.

And thanks again for your instruction!

> Thanks a lot!
>
> Best wishes
>
> Norbert

> Dr. Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>        Vienna University of Technology
> Debian Developer <preining at debian.org>                         Debian TeX Group
> gpg DSA: 0x09C5B094      fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76  A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
> OUNDLE (vb.)
> To walk along leaning sideways, with one arm hanging limp and dragging
> one leg behind the other. Most commonly used by actors in amateur
> production of Richard III, or by people carrying a heavy suitcase in
> one hand.
>                        --- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

Yue Wang