[tex-live] Installation: dviout\dviout.exe not found

Wolfgang Fleischer wolfgang.fleischer at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Feb 24 17:19:54 CET 2009

Steve MC Han wrote:
> Hi Norbert,
>
> I use WinEdt and it says C:\TexLive\dviout\dviout.exe not found. I
> checked C:\TexLive directory (I installed TexLive 2008 with this
> directory) and there's no file folder by that name. I also checked with
> search to find dviout or dviout.exe, but no such file in my PC.
>
> I checked TexLive2007 in my old machine and in fact there's folder
> C:\TexLive2007\dviout.
>
> I just wonder there's no one has this problem before??
>
> Thank you,
> Steve

Hi

TeX Live 2008 clearly breaks with Winedt and TeXnicCenter at least with
respect to dviout and PS_View:

*Winedt can no longer detect TL as the Registry-Key advertising TL to
the system is no longer there.
*If a user accepts the default install dir (c:\texlive\2008) Winedt
again has no chance to find TL. The problem is the extra directory level
'2008'
*In ../bin/win32 we can find every kind of 'executables', i.e.
context.cmd, psv.bat, dviout.vbs. Nothing of it is suitable for
GUI-Programs expecting *.exe files to execute.
So for now users willing to use Winedt or TeXnicCenter has to do a lot
of extra manual configuration.

For dviout to work I had to edit install.par for a correct metafont mode.

Wolfgang