[tex-live] tlmgr on Ubuntu linux?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Feb 9 04:45:45 CET 2009

On 8 February 2009 Nicolas Vaughan wrote:

 > On curious, and nice, thing about installing TeX Live 2008 in Ubuntu
 > is the short time it takes to do it. It took almost 5 minutes, whereas
 > in Windows Vista (in the very same machine, and using the same ISO
 > image) it takes between 20 and 30 minutes. (BTW, this time-ratio can
 > also been noticed when compiling XeTeX documents.)

Yes, Windows is dreadfully slow.  Install a virus scanner and your
machine is completely unusable.

I don't understand why it takes abt. 5 seconds to compile a tiny
(18 pages) latex document on windows while I can compile the whole
TeXbook (abt. 480 pages) within 0.66 seconds on my Linux machine.

It seems that the Windows file system (NTFS) is quite inefficient.
I also have the impression that the implementation of standard I/O
is quite lousy.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25