[tex-live] also had an odd update

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sun Feb 8 13:55:55 CET 2009

On  8 Feb, 2009, at 05:36, Michel Goossens wrote:

> I wanted to update texlive today, and duly downloaded the update-
> tlmgr-r11751.sh (or update-tlmgr-latest.sh, which is identical).
> I ran that script and then tlmgr update --all
>
> All seemed to go well until trying to handle tex4ht, where tlmgr
> starts writing hundreds of lines to the output

If that ``hundreds of lines'' were

> Installation of <package> did fail, trying to unwind!

I guess is a temporary problem with the server you used. It happened
to me, *again*, yesterday, with the server a usually use, which is in
general very reliable.

As it is not the first time it has happened to me, I now tar my
TeXLive distribution before upgrading; if something unfortunate
happens, I delete the affected directory, untar the old one and wait a
few hours and try again. I find this method a lot faster to recover
than trying to figure which packages or collections are unstable and
need to be reloaded or re-updated.

Really ---it takes a couple of minutes to tar the working distribution
and just about the same time to untar it if something goes wrong.

Best,

Axel