[tex-live] packages with characters > 127

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 31 15:43:40 CET 2009

On 31 Dec 2009, at 13:37, Elie Roux wrote:

> Most of the packages I'm taking about are packages using £ to delimit blocks of code, or strange 8-bit quotes in error messages, etc. meaning things encoding-independant.

I don't know what you mean about "things encoding-independent". Suppose package A uses CP-1252 quote marks in its error messages, and package B uses MacRoman quote marks, and package C uses UTF-8 quote marks. Unless the TeX processor is aware of the intended encoding when it loads each the package, there's no chance of it ultimately writing the correct text to its console or logfile output (which might be in any of those encodings, but surely should not contain a random, unmarked mixture of them).

JK