[tex-live] packages with characters > 127

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu Dec 31 13:15:28 CET 2009

Robin Fairbairns a écrit :
> i fear there is no truly general solution.  perhaps the utf-8 gobbling
> engines should provide a switch, between the uses above?

They do. XeTeX provides \XeTeXinputencoding (specific to the current file) or
\XeTeXdefaultencoding (all future files input'ed). LuaTeX provides all the
necessary callbacks, luainputenc provides a LaTeX interface to them, and can be
expanded if necessary to cover more use cases.

> (one problem we face is that we can't guarantee that a document and its
> packages are in the same encoding, so a switch saying, for example,
> --language=iso-8859-6 doesn't completely solve the problem, and could be
> vastly distracting if a package was in iso 8859-8.)

That's why the encoding declaration should be done on a file per file basis.
\XeTeXinputencoding is the perfect solution for people wanting to declare their
file's encoding, without any interference with the outside world, and can be
easily enough emulated in LuaTeX.

IMO, the engines already provide the tools needed, now it's up to macros writers
(and perhaps format maintainers, but that is another story, to be discussed
elsewhere and probably later) to use them.

Manuel.