[tex-live] packages with characters > 127

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Dec 31 09:23:06 CET 2009

Hi,

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> Karl Berry a écrit :
>> Is there no way to make the engines more forgiving?  At least in the
>> case of LuaTeX, some kind of callback that can deal with the different
>> encodings (ie, do the conversion to UTF-8 for internal purposes) before
>> the engine ever sees it?  In fact, I had the definite impression from
>> one of Hans/Taco's talks this was already being done.
>>
> It is done (not the TL09 version, though). The point is, packages using
> non-ascii characters currently don't take that kind of precautions.

This is done by loading an extra package (I forget which one), but
I think it would is not so good if that package has to be loaded just
to be able to use another package (as such a package may well use
another encoding than the author's document), so in my opinion it be
best if package authors would stay away from 8-bit encodings if they
want to be optimally portable to luatex. Just my 2c.

Best wishes,
Taco