[tex-live] is TEXINPUTS obsolete?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 11:46:17 CET 2009

2009/12/30 Dan Drake <drake at kaist.edu>:
> Hello,
>
> I've seen a couple references online ([1], [2]) that say the use of the
> environment variable TEXINPUTS is obsolete. However, there seems to be
> no official documentation of this, and also the most recent version of
> l2tabu [3] recommends the use of TEXINPUTS in some cases.
>
> Is TEXINPUTS obsolete or deprecated? Can I rely on it continuing to
> work?

It is explained in the KPATHSEA documentation. Usually TEXINPUT
depends on the format and engine, therefore it is set this way in
texmf.cnf. However, it may be necessary to change it for some special
purpose. It may be uncomfortable to edit texmf.cnf, you will therefore
use the environmental variable.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/