[tex-live] couldn't install on Windows 7

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 21 01:36:59 CET 2009

2009/12/21 Geoffrey S. Knauth <geoff at knauth.org>:
> On Dec 20, 2009, at 18:34, T T wrote:
> 2009/12/20 Geoffrey S. Knauth <geoff at knauth.org>:
>>>   Perl.exe has stopped running
>>> or words to that effect.  Has anyone else seen that?
>>
>> No, nobody reported such a problem, AFAIK. Is it win7 64 or 32 bit?
>
> Win7 32 bit (for now).

Hmm, then this is even more strange.

> I just tried `install-tl -version' and the result was the same alert:
>
>  Perl.exe has stopped working
>  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
>  Windows will close the program and notify you
>  if a solution is available.

Bummer. I don't know what to suggest. Do you use net installer or iso
image? You may try to remove
[install-tl.zip]/tlpkg/tlperl/bin/perl.exe.manifest and see if that
changes anything (I doubt, but you never know). Also check if
'tlpkg/tlperl/bin/perl.exe --version' works at all. It is really
strange that it crashes. I would like to know whether it's one of the
modules or perl.exe itself.

> This Win7 system does not have Cygwin on it.

Cygwin is treated as a separate architecture in TL, it is not a
prerequisite. But if our Perl crashes on your system, then Cygwin
might be an option too (it comes with its own Perl).

Cheers,

Tomek