[tex-live] mptopdf alters source file

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Sun Dec 13 08:21:47 CET 2009

> The default behavior of mptopdf is to run texexec --mptex because
> the input is assumed to be for inclusion in a ConTeXt document (it
> is a context tool, after all).
>
> * If you want 'plain metapost', use mptopdf --rawmp.
> * If you need latex labels, run mptopdf --latex
> * If you have generated images already, run mptopdf on the mp
>   output.

But why does it rewrite the source?  Regardless of the target macro
package, this is a pain in the neck!  For example, I use two terminal
windows; one holds my editor with the opened MetaPost input file, the
other one executes mptopdf.  After execution I have to reload the
input file since it has changed on the disk!

I strongly suggest to fix this.  The rewrite is unintuitive and should
only happen if you specify a corresponding command line option IMHO.
At least, it should be documented.

    Werner