[tex-live] mptopdf alters source file

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Sun Dec 13 04:04:44 CET 2009

On Sat Dec 12 at 21:24:21 CET 2009, Werner LEMBERG
<mailto:tex-live%40tug.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5Btex-live%5D%20mptopdf%20alters%20source%20file&In-Reply-To=%3C20091212.212421.71849106.wl%40gnu.org%3E>wl
at gnu.org wrote:

>Is it normal that a call to
>
>  mptopdf foo.mp
>
>alters `foo.mp'?  Each time I call it on my GNU/Linux box, the script
>adds a newline at the end of the file.  This is extremely annoying,
>and I consider it as a severe bug.

It isn't the only change it makes. It essentially rewrites the whole
file and on my system (on my Windows XP, TeX Live 2009 updated yesterday)
this changes the line-ends from UNIX to DOS. It used to also add a
linebreak after every semicolon.

However, on my system, it saves the original as "foo", so one can
restore the original. Also, if you run "mptopdf foo.mp" again, it saves
the saved "foo" as "foo.mp.keep" and saves the new "foo.mp" as "foo" and
writes a new "foo.mp". Finally, if you run it again, it repeats all
that, destroying the original.

Seriously, it ought to keep the original with original name and use a
different name for its own edited copy. So I agree that this is a bug.

Other bugs:
It insists on changing fonts from CM at 10pt to LM at 12pt. This is,
I assume, because that is context's default.

And somehow it triggers a warning from mpost for every single line in
psfonts.map:
Warning: fontmap entry for `ASCII' already exists, duplicates ignored
Warning: fontmap entry for `zpzdr-reversed' already exists, duplicates ignored.

This appears to come from including psfonts.map for each figure:
This is MetaPost, version 1.208 (kpathsea version 5.0.0)
(./pics.mp  [1{psfonts.map}] [2{psfonts
.map
<7241 lines of warnings omitted>
}]