[tex-live] install-tl fails to download some files

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Dec 9 23:39:12 CET 2009

Hi Jukka,

    Is this expected behaviour?  It seems that the installer gives up too
    early if downloading a file fails.  On the other hand, it probably
    shouldn't have failed if it succeeds seconds later...  Any thoughts?

All the installer is doing is calling wget --tries=10 --timeout=90.
With an erratic network connection, there is nothing that can be done in
general.  Maybe look for a closer mirror or mirror it yourself, instead
of downloading everything at install time?

Anyway, I think I will increase the timeout a lot.  And try to write
something in http://tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html about how to
override those options (.wgetrc or TL_DOWNLOAD_ARGS).

Thanks,