[tex-live] I need your help!

N. Srinivasan narayanas at cox.net
Wed Aug 26 18:21:41 CEST 2009

Dr. Breitenlohner,

I get the following error message while running Latex:

! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.15 ...erton, and Mr. David Nemecek, esq. (DoJ).}
                                                  \\
? H
You're in trouble here.  Try typing  <return>  to proceed.
If that doesn't work, type  X <return>  to quit.

As you can see, there is a \begin{document} command.
I have tried several times looking at different manuals. Can't find the
answer!

Best Regards,
N. Srinivasan [Mmeber TUG]
__The document I am trying to compile______________________

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}    % needed for including graphics e.g. EPS, PS
\usepackage{amsmath, amsthm,xy,url,showkeys,amssymb}
%\usepackage{fancyhdr}
\numberwithin{equation}{section}
%For more information, check out the website
%\url{http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~hildebr/tex}
%or email \url{hildebr at math.uiuc.edu}.

\date{}
%opening

\title{The Bayesian View}
\author{}
\thanks{This work was partly funded by the U.S. Government. The author
wishes to thank Prof. Nozer Singpurwalla, Prof. John Kulesza, Prof. Ed
Wegman, Mr. David Overton, and Mr. David Nemecek, esq. (DoJ).}\\

\begin{document}
\maketitle

\section{Background}