[tex-live] configure bug WRT shell selection

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Wed Aug 12 22:10:12 CEST 2009

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

>     > > (Debian uses dash as /bin/sh since a couple of weeks ago).
>
> Sorry, but I can't solve your dash and/or libtool problems for you.

I don't think there's a dash problem, and libtool only showed the
symptom - but in fact it's an issue with the configure script.

> As far as I can see, TL doesn't generate any libtool script; we just use
> the libtool in the environment.  Peter B and I have used the latest GNU
> releases for libtool and the autotools, installed directly from the
> ftp.gnu.org sources.

It seems that the libtool script actually used depends on the results of
the configure run; I don't (and actually I don't want to) understand at
this point how this happens.  It's the configure script that is "buggy",
since for its own checks it forces the use of /bin/bash if it finds it,
but leaves /bin/sh shebang lines in the generated scripts, including
libtool.

That could generate problems on any system where bash is in the PATH,
but /bin/sh does not point to it.

> If I'm wrong about this and there's some TL-specific issue, tell me.

configure is generated by autotools, I guess; but I don't know which
TL-specific pieces of code are included.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (TeXLive)