[tex-live] Post-install problems (Solaris)

Jean-Pierre Chretien chretien at cert.fr
Tue Sep 23 08:53:08 CEST 2008

>>Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 19:53:14 -0500
>>From: karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry)
>>To: chretien at cert.fr
>>Cc: tex-live at tug.org
>>Subject: Re: [tex-live] Post-install problems (Solaris)
>>
>>    # grep whiptail `which texconfig-dialog`
>>        for bin in whiptail dialog
>>
>>I added that patch last year:
>>
>>r4631 | karl | 2007-07-16 19:08:10 +0200 (Mon, 16 Jul 2007) | 1 line)
>>Check for builtin dialog/whiptail on any system (jukka salmi, 21 Jun
>>2007 14:49:48
>>
>>I do not remember his arguments specifically, but basically the idea was
>>to use the system's dialog or whiptail if it was provided.  But if they
>>don't exist, then it's supposed to fall back on the same tcdialog we
>>have always provided.
>>
>>What was the actual error that led you to believe that whiptail needed
>>to exist on the system?  (Sorry if I missed it.)  It should not have to.

Open an xterm, enlarge it, run texconfig-sys, get the warning about
the required terminal setup:
http://www.tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2008-September/018188.html

When I press return, I'm back to prompt.

This was silent about missing whiptail.
Tracing the execution with /bin/sh -x showed that whiptail was not found,
but I'm not sure that this is really the problem, there may be another issue.

I'm used to install missing software from source, but whiptail sources seem
quite difficult to find, so I couldn't check.

I did not get a fallback to the previous dialog anyway.

--
Jean-Pierre