[tex-live] prolems running latex in tex-live

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 00:02:58 CEST 2008

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> On Sa, 20 Sep 2008, Ralph Boland wrote:
>> Here is the output; it is the same as before:
>>      fmtutil-sys --byfmt pdflatex
>>      tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not
>> found.
>>      fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
>

>> NOW RUNNING SAME command as root:
>> output is exactly the same.
>
> ??? What?? You say output is exactly the same and then you provide the
> output from below?
>
>> Finally using sudo fmtutil-sys --byfmt pdflatex > fmtutil-sys-out I get the
>> attached file plus the screen output:
>
> And that is fine...
>
> I don't get it (Ubuntu is braindamaged with respect to root handling).
>
> Is there a difference between:
>        sudo fmtutil-sys --byfmt pdflatex
> and
>        AS ROOT
>                fmtutil-sys --byfmt pdflatex
> and
>        AS USER
>                fmtutil --byfmt pdflatex

The environment will differ:

$ sudo /usr/bin/printenv
$ sudo /usr/bin/texconfig conf
$ su
# /usr/bin/printenv
# /usr/bin/texconfig conf
# exit
$ su -
# /usr/bin/printenv
# /usr/bin/texconfig conf

might shed some light on the problem.

>>     fmtutil: running `pdftex -ini   -jobname=pdflatex -progname=pdflatex
>> -translate-file=cp227.tcx *pdflatex.ini' ...
>>     fmtutil: /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex.fmt installed.
>
> That is fine. So now you should be able to compile documents!
>
> It looks all completely normal, I don't see the problem.
>
> Now, can you run
>        pdflatex
> on a simple document as user?

Say, "pdflatex sample2e", so we all see the same
source file.

> And if not, maybe with
>        pdflatex -kpathsea-debug=-1

or pdflatex  -recorder sample2e and send the
sample2.fls file.  Mine (from Fedora 8)  has:

PWD /Data/u/gwhite/T/test/TL2007
INPUT /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/pdflatex.fmt
INPUT /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/sample2e.tex
OUTPUT sample2e.log
INPUT /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls
[..]

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia