[tex-live] problem with tlmgr --gui in Mac OS X

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez artemiog at mac.com
Sat Sep 13 20:22:10 CEST 2008

On Sep 13, 2008, at 6:13 PM, George N. White III wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 12:36 PM, Artemio Gonzalez Lopez
> <artemiog at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> I have installed the MacPorts distributions of perl 5.8, Tk and
>> Perl/Tk
>> under Mac OS X 10.5.4, and when I try to execute "tlmgr --gui" it
>> just fails
>> with a "Bus error".
>>
>> Does anybody know a fix for that?
>
> Look for the previous thread, which includes a tiny test script to
> verify that trivial
> perl/Tk stuff can run (or not).
>
> On my sytems, macports p5-tk is broken.    I've been using the Apple
> perl with Perl/Tk installed from CPAN.

George,

MacPorts' p5-tk is also broken in my machine. I ended up installing
the Perl/Tk package bundled with MacTeX 2008, which works provided
that I deactivate MacPorts' perl5.8 port (which I need as a dependency
of other ports). This is a bit of a hassle, since I have to remember
to activate perl5.8 after using tlmgr.

On an unrelated matter, I have also noticed that quotes are
consistently mangled by tlmgr --gui (see, for instance, svn). Any fix
for that in the works?

Thanks,

Artemio

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez